About the WSIA Education Foundation
The WSIA Education Foundation was formed on March 1, 2018, with the merger of the AAMGA Education Foundation and the Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation. The WSIA Education Foundation was developed by a committee with representation from each legacy organization, and its formation creates a single foundation supporting WSIA, the exclusive trade association for the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines insurance industry with a unified and larger source of financial support for education and outreach and colleges focused on developing an understanding of, and awareness about, careers in the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines insurance industry. You can learn more about the merger in the Merger Proposal, available here
Take a look at the WSIA Education Foundation initiatives
Current WSIA Education Foundation initiatives include:
- Financial support of the education programs for WSIA members
- Maintaining and improving the Associate in Surplus Lines Insurance (ASLI) designation program, which furthers the educational opportunities for members industry professionals
- Support of the AM Best Company's annual review of the surplus lines segment, which is a valuable tool for the industry
- Administering student-focused educational programs, symposiums and scholarship to encourage, support and reward exceptional students interested in an insurance career
- Significant university outreach to attract bright new talent to the industry
About the E.G. Lassiter Lecture Series
E.G. Lassiter began his career in the E&S industry with the London Agency in 1973, after two years of working in the admitted market. He spent 16 years there before joining RSUI in 1989. There he had the opportunity to begin and grow RSUI’s E&S business, serving as RSUI’s President from 1997-2008 and as CEO from 2008 until his retirement in 2012. Lassiter spent 40 of his 42 years in the insurance industry working in excess and surplus lines and remained wholly dedicated to the wholesale marketplace during that time.
Lassiter earned a BA in Math from Presbyterian College and an MBA from the University of Georgia. He served on the NAPSLO Board of Directors, a WSIA legacy organization, from 1998-2003 and his generosity and commitment helped create the WSIA Education Foundation’s E.G. Lassiter Lecture Series in 2011, which continues to sponsor high-caliber keynote speakers at WSIA networking events.
AAMGA Education Foundation History
The AAMGA Education Foundation was founded in 1992 with the mission to:
- Increase the business knowledge and management skills, through continuing education, of managing general agency and company personnel; and
- Strengthen the insurance industry’s ability to deal with the demands of today and the future by providing continuing business and management education specifically designed to meet the needs of the MGA and those other professionals in the wholesale insurance distribution network; and
- Establish, support, promote and recognize professionalism and value in the managing general agency system and throughout the insurance industry.
Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation History
The Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Educational Foundation was formed in 1991 to encourage the educational development of all those interested in the excess and surplus lines business, and to create an understanding and tools for overcoming misperceptions of the excess and surplus lines market. The Foundation was named for retired Western World Insurance Group President, Derek Hughes. Mr. Hughes, who began his insurance career in 1957 with the Royal Exchange Insurance Group in Liverpool, England, also served on NAPSLO's Board of Directors and chaired the Education Committee.
The Foundation established and supported the Associate in Surplus Lines Insurance (ASLI) designation, a professional excess and surplus lines designation program; the AM Best Company’s annual Special Report, U.S. Surplus Lines – Segment Review, a study on the state of the surplus lines industry and scholarships and grants for students pursuing insurance studies.