Marcus Payne Advanced E&S
November 7-10, 2021 • St. Louis, MO
For E&S professionals with multiple years of surplus lines industry experience
Learn more about COVID protocols and precautions in place for this WSIA event.
About the Program
WSIA's Marcus Payne Advanced E&S participants will enhance their understanding of wholesale distribution issues and best practices, industry regulatory issues, marketing, the claims process, and the reinsurance impact upon the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines industry, learning alongside top industry professionals who bring years of experience and expertise. Participants will look at current industry issues and trends and learn comprehensive information to apply immediately to strengthen any business. Networking and interacting with peers is also a valuable component of this program.
Wholesale, specialty and surplus lines industry executives serve as instructors, and the program includes a variety of self-directed learning tools such as study groups, case studies, student led presentations, panels and informal networking sessions. Marcus Payne Advanced E&S curriculum places a primary emphasis on hands-on learning. Read more about Advanced E&S in the informational program brochure
Watch a short video
to learn more about Marcus Payne Advanced E&S and what past participants have to say about their experiences.
Who Should Attend
The Marcus Payne Advanced program is designed for insurance professionals with multiple years of experience in the surplus lines industry. Past participants of WSIA's Excess & Surplus Lines program are strongly encouraged to attend. Completion of the WSIA Excess & Surplus Lines program is not a prerequisite.
Registration and Fees
- Registration cost is $1,450 per participant.
- Registration will close no later than October 4.
- Any questions regarding registration may be directed to Lindsay Holland, [email protected].
Hotel reservations are included in the program registration fee and made by WSIA for attendees.
Doubletree by Hilton
(formerly The Parkway Hotel)
4550 Forest Park Ave
St Louis, MO 63108
The training center is located next to the hotel and is accessible via covered walkway in inclement weather.
Eric P. Newman Education Center
320 S Euclid Ave
St. Louis, MO 63110
What Alumni Have to Say
from past attendees about their experiences at Marcus Payne Advanced E&S.
Marcus Payne Advanced E&S Topics
* CE credits approved
2021 WSIA Continuing Education Credit Disclosure
- The Broker/Underwriter Relationship* - Discuss the dynamics in the placement of business between excess and surplus lines company underwriters and transactional brokers.
- Creating Surplus Lines Customer Value - Discuss the key elements of evaluating new appointments, and how to develop existing business relationships beyond account specific transactions between surplus lines brokers and carriers.
- The Devil’s in the Details* - Review standards and procedures to reduce errors and omissions exposures.
- Avoiding the Sting* - Recognize scams in the nonadmitted market and gain an overview of Stamping Offices with an update on key surplus lines regulatory issues.
- Reinsurance and the Specialty Marketplace* - Learn about current issues, trends and the impact of reinsurance on the marketplace.
- Conquering Financial Statements* - Review key financial metrics for brokers and carriers, overall surplus lines industry financial results, and tips to understand financial information.
- The Claims Experience* - Look at the surplus lines claims process, coverage and liability issues.
The program is filed for Continuing Education credit in the following states:
For states not listed, WSIA is happy to request CE in those specific states. Requests must be made in writing by registered attendees of the program no fewer than 60 days prior to start of the course. While WSIA cannot guarantee states outside of the above list will approve a course for CE in time for the program, 60 days is generally the time length for most states to complete the certification process.
2021 Executive Panel
The executive panelists for the 2021 program to be announced.
Schedule of Events
A tentative schedule for the 2021 program is below. Events are scheduled in Central Time (CT). All sessions are held at the Eric P. Newman Education Center unless otherwise noted.
|SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7
|3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
||Registration & Room Check-In
Hilton Hotel Lobby
|5:30 - 6:15 p.m.
|6:15 - 9:00 p.m.
||Dinner, Opening Program and Hospitality
|MONDAY, NOVEMBER 8
|7:00 - 7:55 a.m.
|8:00 - 10:00 a.m.
||The Broker/Underwriter Relationship Pt. 1
Presented by Wendy Houser, Markel
|10:05 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
||Creating Surplus Lines Customer Value
Presented by Jacey Norberg, Risk Placement Services
|12:05 - 12:55 p.m.
| 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
||The Devil's in the Details
Presented by Andrew Forstenzer, Preferred Mutual Insurance Company
|3:15 - 5:15 p.m.
||Avoiding the Sting
Presented by Michael Blackshear and Illiana Hessing, Ryan Specialty Group
|6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
||Drinks & Casual Dinner (off-property)
|TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 9
|7:00 - 7:55 a.m.
|8:00 - 10:00 a.m.
||Reinsurance in the Specialty Marketplace
Presented by Jim Sullivan, GenRe
|10:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
||Conquering Financial Statements
Presented by Doug Lang, Lexington Insurance Company
|12:15 - 1:00 p.m.
|1:00 - 3:15 p.m.
||The Claims Experience
Presented by Steve Kelly, Nationwide E&S/Specialty
|3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Moderated by Mike Miller, Ategrity Specialty Insurance Company
| 5:15 - 6:30 p.m.
||Reception & Heavy Hors d'oeuvres with Executive Panel
|WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 10
|7:00 - 7:55 a.m.
|8:00 - 11:00 a.m.
||Program Capstone Case Study
Presented by Mike Miller, Ategrity Specialty Insurance Company
Marcus Payne Advanced E&S Cancellation Policy
- Registrants can receive a full refund if the request is made by September 20, 2021.
- Registrants can receive a 50% refund between September 21 and October 4, 2021.
- No refund is offered after October 4.
- Should you cancel, you will have a limited time opportunity to substitute someone else at your firm as an alternative to the above refund policy.
- All cancellation requests must be made in writing to Lindsay Holland, [email protected].